ntbuild logo

employer information

about NT Build publications   legislation other links worker information

employer information

levy information

  site map

Where am I? > NTBuild home > information for employers

What is portable long
service leave?


Post registration

Who is an eligible worker?

What is construction work?

What is qualifying service?

Information Fact Sheets


What is portable long service leave?
The scheme enables workers to qualify for long service leave based on their service to the industry rather than service with the same employer. Workers can therefore work for any number of employers. The portability will also extend across state borders under the National Reciprocal Agreement, once approved.

The scheme will be funded by:

  • A levy on construction work in the Northern Territory 
  • Investment earnings

Most employers will not have to make any financial contribution to the scheme, as this will be the obligation of project developers. However, in certain circumstances where an employee has been continuously employed by the one employer, employers may have to contribute or pay for long service leave that accrued before 1 January 2005.

If you are an employer, you will need to register with NT Build within one month of commencing to employ eligible construction workers in the Northern Territory.

You can obtain an Employer Registration Application Form by contacting NT Build's office on 1300 795 855 or by downloading one published under the publications menu on this web site. 

Post registration
Once a worker has been registered, employers will be required to:

  • Keep adequate records to account for any eligible workers employed;
  • Complete an employer return form twice a year advising NT Build of the number of days worked by all registered employees and any other information required by NT Build; and
  • Notify NT Build within 14 days of terminating a registered worker.

Who is an eligible worker?
An eligible worker under the scheme:

  • is employed to carry-out construction work in the Northern Territory;
  • is employed full-time, part-time, as a casual or as an apprentice;
  • works in the private sector, i.e. not for the government; 
  • is not working in an administrative, clerical, managerial or professional capacity; and
  • works a minimum of three days in any reporting period (ie; six months).

What is construction work?
For the purpose of this scheme, the construction work includes commercial, domestic, industrial and civil construction work. Construction work covers workers performing repair, maintenance, extension and demolition work.

What is qualifying service?
The following is a day of service for the worker:

  • a workday throughout which the worker carries out at least 6 hours of construction work during any work shift;
  • a public holiday or a day of paid absence for the worker other than a day that is part of long service leave while the worker is employed or engaged to carry out construction work in the Territory.

A worker is entitled to be credited with a maximum of 6 days of qualifying service per week, however they cannot accrue more than 220 days of service in a financial year.

For more information on the definition of construction industry and the type of eligible work please refer to the definition published under the about NT Build menu on this web site or phone NT Build on 1300 795 855.

back to top


 about NT Build | publications | legislation | other links | worker information | employer information | levy information
NT Build home
| site map |  interpreter service | disclaimer/copyright/privacy | feedback | information privacy & access

Street: Units 32-33 / 12 Charlton Court, Woolner NT  0820   Post: Post Office Box 36644, Winnellie  NT  0821
General enquiries: 1300 795 855   Office Phone: 08 8936 4070   Fax: 08 8936 4080
Email: info@ntbuild.com.au   Web: www.ntbuild.com.au

Last updated: Monday, 23-Nov-2015 14:28:05 CST.