Call Us! 1300 795 855

Worker Information

What is portable long service leave?

The Scheme enables workers to qualify for long service leave based on their service to the industry rather than service with the same employer. Workers can therefore work for any number of employers. The portability also extends across state borders under the National Reciprocal Agreement.

Workers long service leave is paid from the fund.

What are the benefits?

A registered worker can be credited with a maximum of 220 days of qualifying service each financial year. A total of 6.5 days long service leave credit is accrued for each 220 days.

Once a worker has accrued 65 days long service leave credit (ie; 10 years service), they can apply for 13 weeks (ie; 65 days) long service leave, or with the agreement of their employer, take leave in separate periods of not less than 5 days.

Workers need to accrue a further 32.5 days long service leave credit before they can apply for further leave.

Sections 21 and 22 of the Act contain special provisions for workers who die, retire or cease to perform construction work.

To apply for a long service leave benefit, complete the claim form and return it to NT Build.

Employment interstate - transfer of credits

Every State and Territory in Australia has a portable long service leave scheme operating within their construction industry.

Under the National Reciprocal Agreement, registered Northern Territory workers will be able to have service accrued in any State or Territory combined towards a long service leave entitlement.

Am I eligible to join the scheme?

To be eligible for registration under the Scheme a worker must:

  • be employed to carry out construction work in the Northern Territory;
  • work for the private sector, i.e. not for the government, including local government; and
  • not be working in an administrative, clerical, managerial or professional capacity.

Workers employed either full-time, part-time, as a casual or as a labour only contractor are eligible to register.

What is construction work?

For the purpose of this Scheme, construction work includes commercial, domestic, industrial and civil construction work. Construction work covers workers performing repair, maintenance, extension and demolition work.

For more information on the definition of construction work and eligible types of work please refer to the definition published under the about NT Build menu on this web site or phone NT Build on 1300 795 855.

How do I register to join?

To register under the Scheme, a worker should print off and complete either the Worker or Contractor Registration Application Form and return it to NT Build. Once registered your employer will lodge an Employer Return with NT Build every 6 months. If you are a labour-only contractor, we will send you a Return Form for you to complete and lodge every 6 months. Employment data on this form will be used to update your work history, with "qualifying service days" credited towards your long service leave credit.

Arrangements for work prior to the commencement of the scheme

If a worker commenced employment with their current employer prior to 1 January 2005 and has since been continuously employed with the same employer, the employer may apply to have service prior to 1 January 2005 credited with NT Build.

Annual notice of service

Workers will receive an Annual Statement at the end of each financial year providing details of service credited with all relevant employers.